Monday 19 November 2012

Autumn

Autumn is one of my favourite seasons in Japan and not just because it provides a much needed break from the summer heat. The temperature is slowly dropping, the heaters are being dusted out, and the coloured leaves are carpeting the roads.

The four seasons that Japan gets is one of my favourite reasons for living here. In Queensland, if the leaves start falling from the trees it is usually due to drought and certainly not a pretty sight. Here, the beautiful colours outside look like a desert sunset- all oranges, yellows and reds. The temperature drops to a mild 10deg (c) in the days (though, it is 5 degs right now), which makes for perfect weather to bring out the macha lattes and hide under a mountain of blankets while watching movies. Which would explain why I have taken a severe lack of photos lately.



Thankfully this year we have been gradually weaned into the colder months, (unlike last year where we went from swimming at the beach to winter wonderland) so it doesn't seem quite so cold. Autumn clothes in Japan is another reason I love it here. Though it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether or not I can squeeze myself into them. For now, leather boots and scarves are the perfect accessories for going outside (at least until winter gets here and I bust out the old ski-jacket again).

The Japanese also really embrace the seasonal food over here. Pumpkin flavoured food is everywhere (and makes me wish I had an oven) and trees all over town are laden with persimmons. The look absolutely beautiful (striking orange fruit hanging from black branches), though not as beautiful as they do in the winter.



There seem to be a lot of persimmon trees growing wild in the Tainai area. I did ask some friends why the monkeys (my old nemeses) don't steal the fruit from the trees (when they are more than happy to rip up all the other vegetable gardens around). Apparently the monkeys can get drunk off them (or so I was told). I have since tried researching to see how accurate this is, but to no avail. Maybe I would have to eat a whole heap of persimmons for some effect. I would like to see a monkey get drunk though, maybe walk its way off of a mountain, or into the sea.  *Sigh* Its a shame they don't eat them, as I am always looking for secret ways that I can get rid of the monkeys (some nights I lie in bed and plot their demise).

The falling of the leaves does signal the season for the bears and the monkeys to get a bit more aggressive. Which (lets face it) is not something I need with my monkey dramas. Snow has already stated falling on the mountains (and in the next town up), and so far the weather report says it will snow here on Saturday. I can only hope that the snow will come and chase the devil spawn back into the mountains permanently, but until then I will sit inside my nicely heated room and watch the leaves fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment